Wednesday 30 January 2013

Who am I

I wasn't going to post this 'cos it's a bit personal....

Anyway,  I was contacted the other day by a long, lost relative from Ukraine.  Mum and Dad are from Ukraine.  World War 2 ripped families apart, ours included.  It's so tragic.  Lost relatives, memories.  We never had opportunities to love and get to know our nearest and dearest.    My mum is so very bitter about this.

I used to get so mad, as a young kid, when friends used to slag off and bitch and moan about their relatives.  Oh, what I would give to have been able to have my aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents.

My parents, particularly my Dad...who was conscripted by the Ruskies when he was 17 to fight in WW2, never liked to talk about the war.  Too traumatic.  He never saw his family again, apart from his older sister in 1991 after Ukraine gained independence from Russia.  Good old Gorbachov.    Anyway, Dad never liked stew.....for instance.   We never had gravy with our meals.  He always had to know what he was eating.   Memories of rats, cats, dogs, etc..that he had to eat to stay alive in the prisoner of war camp.

Do you know, I can't believe how cruel man can be to fellow man..and other living things.  We are truly awful.

Anyway, I am going to try and build up a family tree.  We know nothing really about our rellies and I am hoping that we can sort out who we are, genealogy-wise.  Am going to set up another blog...just for our family tree.  When I get it going, I'll let you know.

I got a map of the Ukraine up on Mapquest...and blubbed.  Like I said, what I would have given as a young child to be able to hug my grannies and grandads, uncles and aunties.  What I would give now, even as an antiquated old sod.  lol

Wish me luck. x

2 comments:

KittyKittyWeaselFish said...

Aww hugs babe! Wishing you all the very best of luck on your "Who do you think you are" quest!!

Minnie said...

Thanks. x